Monday, December 19, 2016

Oliver, A Light to Every Member

Hello friends and family!! Merry Christmas!!! I'm so happy I can be here during such a special time. This week there were many highs and many lows as you would expect in the mission field. We had a heartbreaking experience on Friday. As many of you know Oliver missed his baptism last Sunday because he got sick just hours before. He received a blessing from the elders on Monday. On Tuesday late afternoon Sister Johnson and I went to visit him and we could tell he was very disoriented and confused. He had just gotten out of the bath to answer the door and as soon as he saw us he requested some coke. We ran to the store and brought him some minutes later. He thanked us and said he must go right back to bed because he was feeling so cold and shaken. We later found out Oliver had passed away that night. My heart was so broken and I could barely speak without breaking down. Oliver has been one of few constants since I entered the mission field. He was a light to every member of the Cannock ward. There is a massive hole in my heart.

I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to teach Oliver, and to have been taught by him. Before each lesson he would always start with something he learned that week from the Book of Mormon. I can so vividly remember him saying  "Yes, that's the main thing" about any and every gospel principle we introduced to him. Each time we went over he gave us countless amounts of produce from his garden and was always so eager to know how our missionary week went. I will never forget the garden tours and how passionate he would get when talking about his hedgehogs and sunflowers.

On Friday I was devastated and confused as to why God would take someone who was so good and so close to baptism. We had an appointment with a man named Bernid following the news. I could barely utter words or look at anyone so Sister Johnson did most the talking. I was looking around his home and saw an ornament hanging on his tree of half of a butterfly, and half of a sunflower, connected to each other. I immediately knew that Sarah and Oliver had met. I felt comforted that Oliver's work here was done. Although Oliver was not baptized a member here on earth, his sweet testimony was needed penetrate the hearts of others on the other side. And this is why we have the temple! Olivers last week on earth was so special - preparing for baptism. We had a very spiritual evening with him while picking out the songs we would sing. He bore his testimony for the first time this last fast and testimony meeting. His eyes were shut and his hands tightly gripped on the microphone it was precious. I will never forget the times we had with Oliver.

He lives, and because he lives, we can live again.


I know Jesus Christ lives. I see His help in this work every single moment. Even in the rejection and in the rain and in every person we invite to know him. This Christmas, I invite you all to know him!!! To recognise his hand in your lives. I promise that if you take the time to study the life of the Saviour, you will come closer to him, because you will be more like him. And that is our purpose here on earth. To prepare to meet him and our Father.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

He is all these things and more. May we all strive to live more worthy of Him.

I love you guys!!!! Happy Christmas from England 😘🇬🇧❤️🎄✨


Sister McEwan xx
Me, Oliver, Bro. and Sis. Denton and Sis Price






No comments:

Post a Comment