Monday, December 12, 2016

An Instrument in My Hands

This week was a "humbling week" Sister Johnson and I decided. It was definitely one of the hardest one so far. It's been difficult for me to be away from home while Isabelle has had her surgery.

Oliver unfortunately was not baptised yesterday. He got very sick the night before and couldn't get out of bed. Sister Johnson and I have tried to fill our days with back to back appointments but every single one of them fell through. We do not know what is going on.

Trying to rack my brain of what even happened this week. We had one cool miracle where 2 different people on our way to Oliver's lesson stopped us instead of us stopping them and wanted to meet with us! That never happens so it was weird that there were two within a minute of each other.

We had stake conference this weekend which was awesome because they filled up the stake centre and it felt like a regular Utah ward hahah. One guy told us this week that he was a "Born Again Atheist" which made no sense. We met a sweet woman named Margaret at St. Luke's a few weeks ago and she invited us over for lunch and to help her decorate her Christmas tree. She was POSH and had a maid at the front door taking our coats haha it felt like Downtown Abbey.

We got to see Steven!!!! It's been 2 months since I last saw him. He has that desire but his family still won't let him leave the house on Sunday to go to church. It was crazy though because we were teaching Steven in a coffee shop (ironic) and in came Dean..... 2 formers in one place hahaha so Sister Johnson and I literally had our backs to each other. She talked to Steven and I talked to Dean. Dean has gone COMPLETELY anti. It was horrifying. He was bashing the church so much and saying such terrible things about it. You could see the Devil in his eyes. It was honestly so scary he was yelling at me at how stupid I was to be apart of such a cult. It really shook me but actually made my testimony so much stronger so... that backfired;) haha. But really. I tried so hard to keep the conversation without contention and with love. It was very hard because I wanted to start screaming at him. I just had to bite my tongue and think "What would the Saviour do?" I expressed my love to him and reminded him of the feelings of peace and comfort our message brought to him when we first met. All his concerns were very worldly.

Funny experience Oliver called us earlier in the week saying: "My friend is very poorly I'm wondering if you can come around and put the hands on his head?" hahahaha he doesn't understand the term blessing quite yet.

The zone leaders sent out a prayer request for Oliver to our zone last night. In the middle of stake conference was when Oliver called saying he couldn't get out of bed so sister Johnson and I got super sad. All the missionaries there were so concerned because we are the loudest sister missionaries ever and we weren't speaking haha. But it was so sweet because we got several calls that night from missionaries telling us "5 things they love" about both of us. It really lifted our spirits.

The whole week sister Johnson and I kept saying "chin up, everyone might be rejecting us but we have a baptism on Sunday!!!" Then Sunday came and we felt so defeated.  Sweet Elder Jensen our District Leader called and gave us the scripture Alma 17:11 "And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls."

This whole week we taught a lot of people about trials and long suffering. I know that in order for me to be a better teacher, I have to go through those same things. If we endure these things well, and continue with faith in the Lord, he will use us "...unto the salvation of many souls." To know these things makes every hardship worth it. I love you guys. Thank you for the prayers. I feel them every day.

Cheers,

Sister McEwan xxx
Waiting for the train


Litchfield Zone

Stake Conference
Best Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment